Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Mar 4, 2012

Hunger Games

In honor of the Hunger Games movie coming out this month (18 days!!) I thought I’d write a bit about food.

Before I was host to Peaches, my eating habits were probably less than ideal, but I wasn’t too concerned. I ate a lot of sugar, an occasional 32-ounce Mt. Dew, and would sometimes go hours between big meals rather than ‘grazing’. I was able to eat what I wanted, when I wanted. It was great. Since becoming pregnant however, that freedom has changed drastically. I can’t sugar binge, I have to eat something every two hours, and soda is completely out. I wish I could say this is due to my motherly instinct to get healthy for baby, or even a selfish new year’s resolution. But alas, this is not so. My fetus, while still unable to open up her eyes or shake a tiny fist, has asserted complete control over my body. If I do (eat) anything she doesn’t like, I am sick. I feel it almost immediately and with a strength that would be quite impressive if it weren’t so misery-inducing. And I have completely bended to her will. I resist anything she doesn’t want because it just isn’t worth it.

So what does the dictator desire? So far I haven’t had any intense cravings, but I have noticed that she really likes salty foods. Pre-Peaches, I never bought chips for myself; now we keep tortilla chips on hand at all times. I was impartial to cheese; now it feels like we’re keeping Tillamook in business. Saltines and tuna have always been a favorite and luckily she allows this on occasion (tuna is only ok once a week per doctor). Soda is never ok unless I want to spend hours laying down but she allows me to continue loving OJ. And the most comforting thing we can agree on is chamomile tea- a staple for calming a sick tummy, helping us stay hydrated, and also good for digestion!

Fortunately, since first-trimester nausea has declined I am slowly broadening my food horizons. But I taste tentatively because Peaches and I both know she has my stomach wrapped around her tiny, barely-formed finger. Let the Games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment